MOMus, the Metropolitan Organisation of Museums of Visual Arts of Thessaloniki and the Experimental Center for the Arts collaborate with Video Art Miden, hosting a major tribute to contemporary video art with 130 works by renowned and emerging artists from all around the globe.
The exhibition will take place 5-25 of April 2019 at the Experimental Center for the Arts (Warehouse Β1, Thessaloniki Port).
Opening: Friday, 5 of April, 2019, 20:00 h.
The exhibition consists of curated thematic screening programs, initially presented in the recent edition of Miden last July in Kalamata, which focus to alternative morphological and conceptual styles and forms, expressing the basic trends of our time:
– Four thematic screening programs, which explore our political attitude and resistance (Get [it] out of your system), the world of fashion and our dependence on it (Flow along surface), the naked body as a medium of dialogue and expression (Shell) and a screening program for a dystopian present future (The way it looks back at you).
– Two programs dedicated to Greek Video Art (Anatomy of silence, The world is a theater) which highlight new morphological and conceptual trends that inspire Greek video artists nowadays, focusing especially on the young generation.
– Three thematic units dedicated to Performative Arts, narrative video, video-performance and videodance (Act… with or without expression, Fragments of a story, vDance). These programs investigate the video art “loans” from the performing arts and deal with the morphological transformations of narration, space, object and body movement in these categories of video creation.
– Two screening programs that deal with the concept of Space, investigating boundaries between private and public, familiar and unfamiliar, monumental and the anti-monument (In between, A chance to Cut is a Chance to Cure).
– Two light and colorful programs (Daydream, Freeze Frame), which create their own poetic narrations through music, animation and digital experimentations.
Art direction: Gioula Papadopoulou, Margarita Stavraki
Curatorial team: Gioula Papadopoulou, Margarita Stavraki, Giorgos Dimitrakopoulos, Maria Bourika, Stavros Kapetis, Danny Kargas, Nikos Podias, Sofia Grigoriadou, Panagiotis Voulgaris
Curator of the exhibition at MOMus-Experimental Center for the Arts: Domna Gounari
View/download the complete catalogue of works here
About MOMus & the Experimental Center for the Arts:
The State Museum of Contemporary Art, the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art, the Thessaloniki Museum of Photography, the Contemporary Art Center of Thessaloniki and the Museum Alex Mylona are joining their forces, comprising the biggest organisation for visual arts in Greece, called MOMus – Metropolitan Organisation of Museums of Visual Arts of Thessaloniki. MOMus aims to present a new artistic programme of exhibitions and projects based on modern and contemporary art, photography, experimental arts and sculpture.
In this frame, the former Contemporary Art Center of Thessaloniki is now called MOMus- Experimental Center for the Arts.
Opening days & hours: Tue-Wed-Fri-Sat-Sun 10:00-18:00, Thu 10:00-22:00, Mon closed
Info & updates: www.cact.gr