Video Art Miden collaborates again this year with Video Art Projects, which will take place at the Municipal Gallery Casa Bianca, Thessaloniki, 26-27-28 of May, 2023.
Video Art Projects is organized for the second year by the Municipality of Thessaloniki, the Municipal Gallery Casa Bianca and the New Media Lab of the School of Visual & Applied Arts, Faculty of Fine Arts, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
The complete program may be found here (in Greek).
The core of the screening program, which brings together artists from 26 countries, is curated by the international video art festival Video Art Miden from Kalamata, with the participation of the international digital arts festival PROYECTOR from Madrid, as well as many schools of fine arts and audiovisual arts from Greece, highlighting student creation in a major tribute.
In the thematic sections of screenings presented by Video Art Miden, curated by Gioula Papadopoulou, Olga Papadopoulou and Olga Papadima, many renowned artists from Greece and abroad, academics from various countries and videos awarded in important events and festivals around the world participate. Among them, historical figures, such as Kirk Tougas, iconic figure of experimental cinema and video in Canada and founder of Pacific Cinematheque in Vancouver, Australian neuroscientist, academic, poet and new media artist Ian Gibbins (internationally recognized for both his scientific and his multi-faceted artistic work), the multi-awarded Japanese artist and professor Hiroya Sakurai, while a famous contemporary dance figure, Wim Vandekeybus, participates as a producer in a Belgian videodance project directed by Pieter Desmet. Emphasis is placed on the presentation of artists from many different countries, especially through the panorama entitled “Around the world”, which presents a visual wandering around the world through the works of artists from Japan, New Zealand, Australia, India, Iran, Mexico, Brazil, Canada, Morocco/France, Korea/Germany, Italy, Tunisia, China and Congo, tracing the particularities but also highlighting common places and concerns.
A series of works by notable Greek contemporary artists are also presented, such as Yiannis Pappas (who lives in Berlin and is among the 5 performance artists worldwide chosen by Marina Abramovic in her curatorial contribution at WePresent), the multi-award-winning artist Fenia Kotsopoulou, Katerina Katsifaraki, Fani Sofologi (presenting one of her videotaped performances) and many others, including several academics.
The program also includes a tribute to the digital world, titled “Future memories”, which addresses contemporary issues and concerns about artificial intelligence and our digital future in critical relation to human empathy and timeless, universal existential and social anxieties. The section features artists from Norway, Belgium, Austria, Canada and Greece, with works that have been exhibited (or awarded) at major digital art events abroad, such as Ars Electronica (Austria) or the newly established Biennale of Artificial Intelligence of Latin America (BILIA) in Mexico.
Tracing the future, this year the program focuses on young artists and especially on student creation, in an effort to give a platform to the new generation of artists, to highlight the work of the schools of fine arts and audiovisual arts in Greece and to lay the foundations of communication and cooperation.
In this context, the student of the New Media Lab Olga Papadima curates a screening program for Video Art Miden entitled “Happiness is a warm gun” (with works by artists from Croatia, Germany, Israel, China and UK), while the following art schools are presenting selections of student video projects from their undergraduate and/or graduate courses:
– School of Visual & Applied Arts, Faculty of Fine Arts, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki,
– Department of Visual & Applied Arts – University of West Macedonia, Florina,
– Department of Visual Arts & Art Sciences – University of Ioannina,
– Department of Photography & Audiovisual Arts – University of West Attica, Athens,
– Department of Graphic Design & Visual Communication -University of West Attica,
– Department of Audio & Visual Arts – Ionian University, Corfu.
In addition, Mario Gutiérrez Cru, artistic director of the international digital arts festival PROYECTOR based in Madrid, has been invited to curate a pre-selection of works from the forthcoming edition of PROYECTOR, which is scheduled to take place in Madrid in September. The selection presents 11 video artists from Taiwan, France, Portugal, Spain, Greece and Argentina.
More specifically, Video Art Miden presents in the 2nd Video Art Projects the following screening programs & partnerships:
Inverse | Video Art Miden | Curated by Gioula & Olga Papadopoulou | Duration: 67min
- Katerina Katsifaraki, Dance, Greece 2021, 2.14
- Vasilios Papaioannu, Parenthesis, USA 2021, 37
- Stelios Dexis & Myrto Vounatsou, Your last shell, Greece 2022, 4.07
- Angelina Voskopoulou, Behind this page but not disappearing, Greece-Germany 2015, 8.10
- Evi Stamou & Pietro Radin, Études, Greece 2022, 8.26
- Zefi Athanasopoulou, over again, choreography of a folding sculpture in time, Greece 2021, 1.51
- Dimitra Mitsaki, The Other Moon, Greece 2021, 9.45
- Fani Sofologi, The Illustrated Narration of Everyday Life, Greece 2012, 6.00
- Yiannis Pappas, Requiem For A Tree, Germany 2023, 9.14
- Fenia Kotsopoulou, 50000Touches_excerpt#4, UK 2022, 5.00
- Olga Papadopoulou, 2020’s dress code, Greece, 2022, 1.23
- Magda Lampropoulou, Seeing the metronome of the silence, Greece 2023, 4.18
Future memories | Video Art Miden | Curated by Gioula & Olga Papadopoulou | Duration: 1h
- Lina Dovydenaite, Democratopia, Norway 2020, 28.37
- Gioula Papadopoulou, AI made me do it: News from 2050, Greece 2023, 1.39
- Mike Hoolboom, Skinned, Canada 2022, 8.25
- Gloria Gammer, When the world comes to an end, I will have loved you, Austria 2022, 15.00
- Maxime Coton, Changing skin, Belgium 2022, 6.30
Happiness is a warm gun | Video Art Miden | Curated by Olga Papadima | Duration: 47min
- Ivana Ognjanovac & Mare Šuljak, Pink Stories, Croatia 2021, 10.00
- Veronika Burger, Songs of fortune, Germany 2015, 8.35
- Meshy Koplevitch, 73, Israel 2021, 13.00
- Lihong Bai, The Joy of Fish and Water, China 2022, 4.00
- William Hong-xiao Wei, Embers from Yesterday, Aflame, UK 2022, 10.00
Hidden | Video Art Miden | Curated by Gioula & Olga Papadopoulou | Duration: 1h
- Ginevra Panzetti & Enrico Ticconi, SILVER VEILED, Germany, Italy, UK / Ireland 2021, 23.23
- Pieter Desmet, Togetherness, Belgium 2022, 27.19
- Chuxun Ran, A House Without Memory, France 2021, 18.00
Around the world | Video Art Miden | Curated by Gioula & Olga Papadopoulou | Duration: 81min
- Hiroya Sakurai, The Stream XII, Japan 2022, 3.57
- Brit Bunkley, Dear Hart, How they dream. How we dream, New Zealand 2022, 3.42
- Devis Venturelli, Daedalus, Italy 2021, 11.00
- Mohamed Thara, The Second Zone, Morocco – France 2019, 11.45
- Maisha Maene, APA, Democratic Republic of Congo 2021, 4.00
- Debjit Bagchi, The House He Never Owned, India 2022, 1.00
- Marcos Bonisson, Korrupta, Brazil 2022, 3.30
- Elma Riza, Aïn / source, Tunisia – Berlin 2022, 10.42
- Ian Gibbins, and furthermore (indexed), Australia 2022, 4.57
- Reza Golchin, Rust, Iran 2022, 1.40
- Yang Tian, Heredity, China 2022, 3.25
- Kim-Chanmin, Hier und Dort, Korea-Germany 2022, 4.56
- Federico Cuatlacuatl, Timekeepers of the Anthropocene: TOLCHIKAUALISTLI, Mexico 2022, 9.16
- Kirk Tougas, the medium is the message, Canada 2022, 7.00
PROYECTOR Plataforma de videoarte, Madrid, Spain | Curated by Mario Gutiérrez Cru | Duration: 68min
- Ting Ting Chang & Hsuan-Kang Tsai, SOAP, Taiwan 2021, 17.26
- Lu Chih Kai, Rolex in the Sky, Taiwan 2022, 9.57
- Alix Galdin, Reliquat, France-Canada 2022, 4.35
- Analía Villanueva, UMBRA, Argentina 2022, 2.41
- Telmo Ribeiro, Cinema, Portugal 2022, 4.00
- Juan Desteract, No me olvides, France 2022 1.31
- Fenia Kotsopoulou, 50.000 TOUCHES [Excerpt #3], Greece 2022, 4.18
- Francisco Pradilla, Beaking News, Spain 2022, 3.02
- Maia Navas, Enviado para falsear, Argentina 2021, 6.00
- Santiago Carlini, Reflashie, Argentina, 1.48
- Victoria Oliver Farner, Void vs Cinema, Spain 2023, 12.18
Collaborating Universities – Tribute to student works “The New New 2023”
New Media Lab – School of Visual & Applied Arts, Faculty of Fine Arts, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki| Duration: 54 min
Academic staff New Media Lab: G. Katsangelos, Ath. Pallas, St. Dexis, B. Venetopoulos, Y. Drosos, F. Boudouroglou, G. Papadopoulou
Students: Tania Foustana, Olga Papadima, Eleni Peratzaki, Lefteris Tastsoglou, Thomas Michael Alves Nogkoueira, Yiannis Katranitsas, Georgios Othonos, Despoina Douzi, Irini Sereti, Natasa Mavromatidou, Martha Vakouli, Christina Armeni, Simos Tokalakis & Aigli Kyriakou, Manolis Kotrotsios, Group: Vasiliki Sidiropoulou/ Chrysanthi Papadaki/ Ioanna Ntotsi/ Achilleas Karyofyllidis, Group: Faidon Morphidis/ Vaya Stolikidou/ Chara Agathopoulou/ Melina Sichlimiri.
Department of Visual & Applied Arts – University of West Macedonia, Florina | Duration: 56 min
Academic staff: Vasileios Bouzas
Students: Dora Siafla, Maria Adamou, Eleni Nakou, Georgia-Hermione Trigonidi, Konstantina Stefanidou, Adamantia Kavvadia, Georgios Toulios, Eleni Babou, Michalis Damalas, Georgios Kalogiannis, Georgios Theodorou, Group: Marios Antoniadis/ Costas Ziridis/ Costas Filippou/ Stergios Samsakis.
Department of Visual Arts & Art Sciences – University of Ioannina | Duration: 23 min
Academic staff: Nora Lefa, Manos Katsaris
Students: Eleftheria Andreopoulou, Iosiphina Argyrou, Dimitrios Kalogeropoulos, Evangelos Katsanos, Konstantina Kollyri, Vasilis Kopsidas, Ioannis Polychronopoulos, Christina Spylopoulou, Paraskevi Stathaki, Vasiliki Sferopoulou.
Department of Photography & Audiovisual Arts – University of West Attica, Athens| Duration: 21 min
Academic staff: Myrto Vounatsou, Tasos Lymperakis, Maria Lafi
Students: Stavrianna Bitsanni, Katarzyna Alicja Kalaniuk & Mateusz Bratkowski, Elektra Tiligada, Group: Vassilis Konstantinou / George Agelakis / Minos Efstathiadis.
Department of Graphic Design & Visual Communication -University of West Attica | Duration: 45 min
Academic staff: Niki Kapokaki
Nikolaos Votsis, Chris Schalko, Ewa Lygas, Ewa Lygas, Thofania Vlachoyianni, Lilly Zollner, Halima Touil Saadia, Antonis Dimitriadis, Giorgos Zorzos, Anthia Petrelli, Freideriki Maria Skyrianou.
Group: Emmanuela Antonaki / Eleni Kalenteridou, Group: Vasiliki Katsanaki/ Marilena Karkanocharaki/ Christina Kailari, Group: Nikolaos Koudoumnakis/ Maritina Karakatsani/ Theofylakti Kyriazoglou, Group: Iliani Bougiouka / Antonia Bourloka, Group: Dimitris Malapanis/ Athanasia Poulidi/ Charalampia Chariclia Pragasti, Group: Eleni Gravali / Maria Nefeli Tsokou, Group: Panagiota Vasilaki/ Georgios Georgopoulos/ Maria Stamouli/ Evangelos Stenakis, Group: Dimitra Tsoutsoudaki/ Maria Trygouti.
Department of Audio & Visual Arts – Ionian University, Corfu | Duration: 50 min
Academic staff: Konstantinos Tiligadis, Fotios Raftopoulos, Maria Kriga, Christina Mitsani
Students: Efi Kampioti, Antonis Pappos, Stratos Psouroukis, Sotiria Katikaridi-Demetriou, Giorgos Kandyliaris, Elli Lymperopoulou, Cassandra Thoma, Michaela Siozi, Adamantia Glovanou, Niki Matzona, Artemis Vasileiadou, Evangelos Georgiadis, Ioanna Fakinou, Sofia Androutsopoulou, Marinos Pavlidis, Maria Lemoni Theodorou, Giannis Papadakis, Vivi Perysinaki, Kostas Doulmanzis, Tzoanna Poupaki, Efrosini Karamanoli, Giorgos Sampsonidis, Valasia Dodoulou.
Video Art Projects organizational team & partners:
Municipality of Thessaloniki – Municipal Art Gallery
-Lela Tsevekidou, head of the Directorate of Culture & Tourism, Municipality of Thessaloniki
-Margarita Salpiggidou, head of the Municipal Art Gallery Department, Thessaloniki
-Thaleia-Maria Alexaki, Museologist, Municipal Art Gallery of Thessaloniki – Casa Bianca
Municipal Art Gallery of Thessaloniki – Casa Bianca organizational team: Administration: Eleni Anastasiadou / Technical support: Costas Bachariadis / Support: Chara Theocharous, Katerina Geovanekou / Gallery attendance: Anthoula Anastasiadou, Giorgos Athanasiadis
New Media Laboratory of the School of Visual & Applied Arts – Faculty of Fine Arts, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki
Director of Video Art Projects: Georgios Katsangelos, head of the New Media Laboratory (School of Visual and Applied Arts, AUTH)
Art Direction: Yiorgos Drosos, Fani Boudouroglou, Gioula Papadopoulou
Teaching staff / Curators: Georgios Katsangelos, Athanasios Pallas, Stelios Dexis, Babis Venetopoulos, Yiorgos Drosos, Fani Boudouroglou, Gioula Papadopoulou
Partner organizations & curators
Video Art Miden / Art direction, curating of thematic programs and coordination of student tribute “The New New”: Gioula Papadopoulou and Olga Papadopoulou. Guest curator: Olga Papadima.
PROYECTOR Plataforma de videoarte / Artistic director: Mario Gutiérrez Cru
Department of Visual & Applied Arts – University of West Macedonia, Florina: Vasileios Bouzas
Department of Visual Arts & Art Sciences – University of Ioannina: Nora Lefa, Manos Katsaris
Department of Photography & Audiovisual Arts – University of West Attica, Athens: Myrto Vounatsou, Tasos Lymperakis, Maria Lafi
Department of Graphic & Visual Communication Design -University of West Attica: Niki Kapokaki
Department of Audio & Visual Arts – Ionian University, Corfu: Konstantinos Tiligadis, Fotios Raftopoulos, Maria Kriga, Christina Mitsani
Municipal Art Gallery of Thessaloniki – Casa Bianca
Address: 182, Vas. Olgas Av. & Them. Sofouli str., Thessaloniki
Dates and hours: 26-27-28 May 2023, 12:00 -20:00 (each program will play in a loop)