Video Art Miden collaborates with Balkan Can Kino, participating with a lecture and video art screenings in the 1st BCK Film Symposium in Athens, which will take place at Balkan Can Kino (Kerameikou 28, Athens, Greece) from 2 to 11 of November 2018.
The lecture by Gioula Papadopoulou, Art director and curator of Video Art Miden, is scheduled on Sunday, November 4, at 20.00-21.00, under the theme “The evolution of video art in Greece and presentation of Video Art Miden activities“.
Two thematic screening programs will follow right after the lecture, November 4, at 21.00-23.00. Video Art Miden will present the programs “Freeze Frame“, curated by Stavros Kapetis, and “Get [it] out of your system“, curated by Gioula Papadopoulou.
Additionaly, the screening program “Flow along surface“, curated by Nikos Podias, will be screened in an exhibition at Meme Gallery in Athens, also in the frame of the 1st BCK Film Symposium. Exhibition dates: Monday, November 5 – Sunday, November 11, 18.00-22.00.
The 1st BCK Film Symposium in Athens is organized by Balkan Can Kino. The complete program of the symposium can be found on the BCK website: balkancan.site123.me.
The symposium features film screenings, panels, workshops, presentations and round table discussions on technical and creative processes by filmmakers and organisations from Greece, Germany and Turkey. The symposium is open to the public and it aims to create a support network for independent filmmaking across the world.
The organizations taking part in the symposium are:
- Students from the largest self-organized film school in Europe, filmArche, based in Berlin.
- The Bornova Belediyesi, organizing film workshops in Izmir and counting more than 600 members.
- Video Art Miden, an independent organization for the exploration and promotion of video art and one of the first international video art festivals established in Greece.
- The Institute for Experimental Arts, a platform of creative expression and research in the fields of theater, performance art, digital media installation, poetry and art theory.
- Pugnant Film Series, a nonprofit organization that organizes screenings of underground, dada & auteur cinema in Athens & Greece.
- Among the Symposium’s program partners is also a group of students and professors at the Department of Photography & Audiovisual Arts in the School of Applied Arts of the University of West Attica.
- Furthermore, the self-organized school for immigrants Fazard Kamangar and the Filmmakers Group R will take part with respective presentations and film screenings.
- The Symposium also welcomes the participation of filmmakers and film theorists Ermina Apostolaki, Pavlos Mavrikidis, Dimitris Panagopoulos, Antonis Tolakis, Flavia Dima, Rosh Zeeba, Yorgos Tsemberopoulos, among others.
All talks and screenings will be held in English and Greek. Films will be screened in O.V. with English subtitles.
The entrance is free.
VideoArtMiden:: Lecture & screenings at the 1st BCK Film Symposium
- Sunday, November 4, 20.00-21.00:: Presentation of Video Art Miden & lecture “A short history of video art in Greece” – by Gioula Papadopoulou (art director & curator of Video Art Miden)
- Sunday, November 4, 21.00-23.00::
Program 1: Freeze Frame | Curated by Stavros Kapetis | Duration: 46min
Analog Vs digital. Analog frame, analog motion, analog rhythm, analog storytelling Vs digital life, our life.
- Daniel Bernhardt, Eyes everywhere, Austria 2018, 4.41
- Max Hattler, Divisional Articulations, Hong Kong 2017, 4.33
- Rodrigo Faustini, Boy transcoded from Phosphene, Brazil 2017, 2.03
- Pavel Matoušek, Jn 1:1, Czech Republic 2013, 3.11
- Christian Noelle Charles, CC TIME – PROCRASTINATION TIME, UK 2017, 2.28
- Tomislav Findrik, Oyashio, Croatia 2017, 4.29
- Soheil Seraji and Amin Djavadi, the poem of time, Iran 2017, 1.43
- Anton Hecht, Dummy Run, UK 2016, 2.18
- Michael Vazikas, LUNACY, Greece 2016, 3.17
- Marianna Milhorat (Film) & Brian Kirkbride (Sound), Sky Room, USA 2017, 5.55
- Anna Beata Baranska & Michal Baranski, Open structure!, Poland 2018, 1.05
- Patricia Bentancur, Untitled, (Play), Uruguay 2014, 1.35
- Antonello Matarazzo, POLITIK, Italy 2017, 2.08
- Adrián Regnier, ‘Y.’, Mexico 2016, 5.00
Program 2: Get [it] out of your system | Curated by Gioula Papadopoulou | Duration: 42 min
The 9 works included in this program deal –some of them more directly and some of them more symbolically- with concepts and perceptions of political and social aspects of life, that are of major concern for each one of us in contemporary reality. Political systems and tactics, truths and lies in the political games, the cruel economy of the business world, social impoverishment, endless wars, endless “why” and the psychology of the masses are the main themes of the works presented. Symbolically, the program begins and ends -in an almost cyclical way- with a fire in a trash can, but with a totally different approach and narrative in each work, leading to a – possible and always symbolic – solution.
- Yiorgos Drosos, District one, Greece 2014-2015, 1.50
- Mircea Bobînă, ФРИДОМ/Freedom, Moldova/Romania 2018, 4.24
- Ana Rodríguez León, Beyond action, Spain 2018, 5.40
- Anna Grigorian, The Jumping Ruler, Armenia/Canada 2017, 5.40
- Rosary Solimanto, Beggar, USA 2017, 3.57
- Pablo Polledri, Corp, Spain 2016, 9.00
- Mansoor Mansoori, Fire and Ash, India 2018, 3.45
- Kuesti Fraun, How many beans make five?, Germany 2018, 2.13
- Eyal Segal, Montag, Israel 2017, 5.41
- Screenings at Meme gallery::Monday, November 5 – Sunday, November 11, 18.00-22.00
Program: Flow along surface | Curated by Nikos Podias | Duration: 50min
This unity-commentary about the glamorous and mysterious elite world of fashion, was created in order to highlight and deify beauty, indicate the necessity of humans to be socially accepted, the autosarcasm one may express through dressing, along with the freedom of self-expression. In addition does not stay indifferent, neither neglects to emphasize on the playful dress changes which contribute to a complete metamorphosis of a person. Last but not least, shows a great respect to human efforts for a prolonged youth.
- Khalil Charif, Celebrity, Brazil 2017, 1.53
- ELAWIATR, ‘The Sculpture that comes out from the Museum of Art’ Royal Palace, Milan, Italy 2014, 1.55
- Leandro Estrella, Assisted_Self-Portrait, Italy 2014, 1.30
- Paul Taylor, #selfiesuit_departure V2, USA 2017, 6.00
- Davide Canali, Different pulses, Italy 2018, 2.57
- Martina Menegon, It Suits Me Well, Austria 2016, 1.02
- Ramia Beladel, Life’s but a walking shadow, Morocco 2014, 2.01
- Tania Bohuslavska, Clothes or against the objectification, Ukraine 2016, 1.45
- Khalil Charif, Cannot, Brazil 2015, 0.42
- Nicolás M. Pintos, Coiffeur, Argentina 2016, 2.49
- Ruy Cézar Campos, Entangled Landing Points, Brazil 2017, 9.05
- Marcia Beatriz Granero, Lacuna, Brazil 2017, 9.00
- Melanie Menard, Tricyclic Transform, UK 2015, 4.57
You may download the program of Video Art Miden screenings here
The complete program of the symposium and updates can be found on the BCK website: balkancan.site123.me.